Monday, June 1, 2009

Not so friendly morning..

Today we woke up with clear skies and expected to have another nice day. That was not the case. We started riding into the darkest part of the area and I saw two strikes of lightening. Chance however did not see the lightening and though we should continue. I said I was not ready to die in Ohio so I insisted we get off about 10 miles down the road where there was a truck stop. So as we were exiting a huge streak of lightening crossed the sky right in front of us and so Chance was finally ok with stopping. At the Pilot gas station we sat for a good 2 hours or more as it down poured and gave a nice lightening show. After it started clearing up a truck driver told us we would have about 3 hours or clearance before the next set of storms came about. So we got our butts in gear and started peddling. We got about 20 miles in and my knee did the same thing as yesterday and did not want to work. So I decided I was not ready to quit for the day and took it slow. The wind again stared to pick up and it was drizzling on and off during the remainder of the ride. We then got to a town called Edgerton where we stopped to have lunch. At that point we had rode 45 + miles and were trying to decide if we should go more or stay put. We then called my dad and did some research on camp sites and then hit up the library to see if there were any campsites close by. We ended up finding out the next closest camp sites were 30 miles away and we were not ready for that. So the lady at the library made a call and found us a place to stay! We are now staying with Carolyn and Vern in their home! Their son had done a long distance bike ride from Ohio to Florida so they help take in bikers when needed! We had good conversation and some pizza and Carolyn made a delicious salad and yummy bread pudding! We could not have asked for a better place to stay. And after a day of things not going our way this is one thing we can say was a positive for the day! Thank you so much Carolyn and Vern for allowing us to stay in your home with you! For those of you that read this blog, remember all the nice people that have helped us out and in if any crazy bikers like ourselves ever come across your door step remember kindness pays off!! There are thunderstorms in the forecast, but we hope they will pass by the time we need to leave tomorrow! Keep us in your thoughts and do some crazy sun dance in your front yard! Thanks so much for the emails we have been getting, we love to hear from others! Thank you for following and donating and we look forward to hearing from you! We estimate we will be in Minnesota within 2 weeks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Randy the owner of Stewy's on Main. I hope Cindy at Red Wing Marina took good care of you guys. Good luck, things happen so fast that I wish I would of taken you to my place to sleep in the guest bedroom and let you do some landry. good luck and we are thinking of you guys. Randy Trok
check me out www.theboatfarminc.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Randy the owner of Stewy's on Main. I hope Cindy at Red Wing Marina took good care of you guys. Good luck, things happen so fast that I wish I would of taken you to my place to sleep in the guest bedroom and let you do some landry. good luck and we are thinking of you guys. Randy Trok
check me out www.theboatfarminc.com

Chance and Kelly

Chance and Kelly