Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Windy is all I can say.....

This morning we woke up in the hostel and it was nice to sleep in a bed again. Carolyn got up before we left and gave us some no bake cookies she made and we said our goodbyes. We got about 4 miles out of town and Chance realized he forgot his phone so we started to go back. I got behind and didn't hear Chance tell me to stop and some how on his way back from the hostel we didn't cross paths so I was at the hostel and he was back down the road. So eventually I caught up with him. The morning ride was actually quite cold and we kept our jackets on for some time. We went through some very beautiful mountain and lake areas that were rolling hills pretty much! We have some great pictures so I can't wait to get them up so you all can see them! We stopped about 15 miles into the journey and had one of the cookies Carolyn made for us and they were delicious! Then we were off again. We had a pretty nice climb up the Blue Mesa which was a bit rough but we also had a 4 mile downhill that was crazy. But because of the winds I actually had to peddle downhill quite a bit. So we stopped right out side the small town of Cimarron, CO and had lunch. The lunch was pretty good. The man there told us we would have a pass that was about 4 miles long. I was very disheartened by this and not looking forward to it. So after eating lunch and drinking our Mt.Dew we were off to our destination of Montrose,Co. The climb was not really that bad. Yes, it was tough but it was way way way better then Monarch Pass. So we stopped at 2 miles up the hill to take a break, I was really tired and would not have minded just laying down right there on the side of the road. I figured with semis and RVs passing at 60 it was not the best idea. So we kept going. At the top we took a picture and then it was downhill again 4 more miles. This time down was kinda scary for me because it was super windy and kept blowing me sideways. At the bottom I met up with Chance and we rode the last 7 miles into Montrose. Once we entered Montrose or you can call it the desert of Colorado we headed to the tourist info center. There we met Jodi and Yvonne who were helping us out. Yvonne was so kind and is allowing us to stay in her back yard tonight! What can we say the nice people just keep showing up! They enjoyed hearing about our journey! So they sent us in the direction of the library where we are now to do a few tings. Once Yvonne is done with work we will head over to her house for the evening and get up tomorrow and do it all again! Thanks for reading and please hope for a safe ride for us!and continue to support us by reading, writing and spreading the word!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GUYS!!!!!!!! I finally got on line and Gayle and I read the last week's journals. These are really great. I'm so proud of you guys climbing that monster Monarch Pass. I wish I was there to keep cheering you on. The next few days you should be hitting some absolutely gorgous scenery. Although you side swipe Ouray, you'll still know your in God's country. Gayle and I are praying for you, Kelly and Chance, daily. We'll be keeping tabs on you from now on. Going on vacation next week. If you want to backtrack you're welcome to join us in Creste Butte. Great scenery there too. You're welcome to stay with us in the Springs anytime. Next time we'll party down!!! Mozart says Woof! And I'm sure
Travis says Hi. God Bless and keep you safe, Jerry and Gayle

Chance and Kelly

Chance and Kelly