Thursday, July 16, 2009

We should have just stayed in bed!

Well today started off like any other day. We woke up did our normal routine and thanked our new friends for letting us stay in there back yard and for helping us out so much! We were just about to leave and Harris offered us a ride "if we wanted to cheat we could ride with him to Ridgeway" but we declined and hit the road. The first 10miles or so weren't too bad, but than the wind began to blow and it only took a couple miles and my legs were shot. We both began to regret not taking this ride. It was only 26 miles but it would have put us pretty much right at the bottom of Dallas Divide with fresh legs but we didn't and Kelly began talking about how she wasn't going to make it up the mountain and how she would do anything for a ride over and I was actually pondering the idea myself but I told her we would discuss it over lunch. By the time we had got to Ridgeway it was settled we would try to find a ride over the pass or we would have to pull up short in Ridgeway. I don't think we would have made the pull over the pass. So we ate at Kate's Place and met an interesting fellow. I'm pretty sure he was a gypsy drifter and definitely a relic from the 60's. When we were done with our meal we road back to the gas station to see if we could find a ride. Kelly lucked out on her first try. We met this guy named Joe, our saviour for the day. He was a blacksmith and was filling up his propane tank and said he would be going to Placerville which was over the pass and about 14mile from Telluride. We asked if we could pay him and he said he'd take a 12pack if we didn't mind so we grabbed a 12pack and loaded our bikes and we were off. We cheated, we both admit it but I think in all honesty it just ads a new angle or twist on the whole adventure aspect, hitch-hiking and I guess that's the thing to do in the mountain towns so we fit right in. It was nice definitely a much quicker and easier way over the pass. It didn't look like it was a difficult pass but a very long drawn out one and on the back side there was road construction that would have made our life hell. There was only one lane and dead stop traffic that we would have had to try to avoid since the cars were part way in the shoulder. The ride was nice and greatly appreciated. We had a great conversation with Joe about his interesting career as a Blacksmith. I didn't even know that that career was still really around with all the modern manufacturing. So I guess you learn something everyday and it was really interesting. We went back to his shop and he showed us all his tools, he actually made most of them himself, even cooler. He told us about his family, two children and his wife Courtney who is the director of adaptive sports in Telluride, way cool! It was just a great afternoon spent talking and learning about new things. Finally we had to get back on the road and finish out the last 14 miles and man I'm glad we got that ride because I don't think that we would have made it even if we made it over the pass. We had to climb Keystone hill and that should have been considered a pass in it's own right. It was long and step and I was exhausted but had to remain strong because Kelly was done and ended up having a bit of a mental break down about a mile from the top. It took a bit to get her back on the bike but she pulled it together and showed her true toughness and I'm glad I didn't have to stay were she wanted to quit. It was on the posit side of the guard rail and the edge of a cliff, probably not the safest place to camp. When we finally got to the turn off where got on the bike path we were so close to victory I could taste it and my legs were screaming for it to be over. We pulled into Melissa and Mark's house, absolutely amazing! It would probably be my dream house located in one of the most amazing spots in Colorado! They were absolutely nice people, even though the dog didn't like me, I guess I wont take it personal since I saw the dog about eat the Fed Ex guy, haha. We met their son Will, great kid, good luck at your swim meet! Their other son Jack was at ski camp at Whistler, luck duck! It was so nice to be done today. They had to go to Will's swim club dinner so we took showers and tried to journal but I just couldn't keep my eyes open and I was out. I woke up just before they got back. We spent the rest of the night hanging out talking and getting to know each other. Mel made us an amazing dinner and afterwards we play some crazy card game that I think Will made up and ofcourse he one, cheater! haha jk. When it was time for bed I was more than ready and it felt good to crash in a cool bed. The room was completely dark and we could see the stars out the window and they were just amazing. Over all the day couldn't have worked out any better. We continue to meet amazing people along the way and hopefully make friendships that will last a life time. Thanks so much Joe for the ride, you were a life saver and thanks Melissa and Mark for being so hospitable and letting us enjoy your amazing house with you! Take care everyone and thank you for supportin us along our journey!

No comments:

Chance and Kelly

Chance and Kelly